Annuities are complex but offer one unique feature that’s easy to grasp; they provide an option to receive a lifetime stream of income. This means they can play a key role in your retirement investment strategy. The tax-deferral* feature of annuities can help you accumulate assets for retirement, while their payout** feature can then help you turn those assets into income.
There are two types of annuities – fixed or variable. With either, earnings are tax-deferred, so growth can compound faster.
- With a fixed annuity, the interest rate is guaranteed for a period of time stated in the contract. Fixed annuities are essentially CD-like investments – they pay guaranteed rates of interest, but are issued by insurance companies
- With a variable annuity, a wide range of professionally-managed investments are available and so the value of the annuity fluctuates with the performance of the investment options chosen
Variable annuities are sold by a prospectus, which can be obtained from an Investment Executive. A prospectus contains additional information included charges and expenses, please read carefully before investing or sending money.
After building up your annuity account balance you can:
- Take the amount of your annuity as a simple lump sum payment or
- Convert your balance to a guaranteed lifetime income, an option no other investment can offer
An annuity contract is written between you and an insurance company. Cetera offers deferred fixed annuities, variable annuities, and single premium immediate annuities from several reputable insurance companies.
With the right insurance policy, you can rest easy knowing you'll be able to provide for your family in the event something happens to you. Insurance can:
- Cover large expenses like long-term care, paying off a home or college tuition
- Provide a federal tax-free inheritance to your beneficiaries
- Help pay final medical costs, funeral expenses, and estate taxes
- Accumulate cash value to borrow against during your lifetime***
- Replace a portion of your income if you become disabled and are no longer able to work – with benefits typically lasting for a set number of years or until you reach retirement age
- Play a role in estate planning or in protecting a business
Choosing the right insurance policy is critical and depends on your individual needs, your overall goals and your risk tolerance. Cetera offers a range of insurance options and together we can determine which insurance if right for you.
To learn more about annuity and life insurance options, please schedule an appointment with a Cetera Investment Executive.