Cetera can help you select investment programs to help pay the cost of college.
529 College Savings Plans
529 Plans are generally sponsored by individual states; Cetera provides access to plans from a choice of well-known providers. With these plans:
- You can make higher yearly contributions than with other plans
- You control the funds, not the beneficiary
- Funds can be invested based upon your investment strategies and the time college expenses begin
- Earnings are tax deferred
- Withdrawals are tax-free when used for qualified college expenses, including graduate schools, community colleges, vocational and technical schools
UGMAs and UTMAs
The Uniform Gift to Minors Act (UGMA) and Uniform Transfers to Minor Account (UTMA) let you gift cash and other assets irrevocably to minor children with tax advantages.
- Earnings are taxed at the minor’s rate, which may be lower than the parent’s rate
- Can be used for most expenses to benefit the child
- At age of majority, children can assume control of the account to spend the money for any purpose
- May impact child’s ability to get financial aid
Cash value life insurance is another alternative for college planning. Variable Universal Life insurance (VUL) provides tax-deferred growth with the bonus of permanent life insurance protection. However, loans and withdrawals may generate an income tax liability, reduce available cash value and reduce the death benefit.
Additional funding sources
To learn more about college funding options,schedule an appointment with a Cetera Investment Executive.
*Refer to IRS regulations governing this account for limitations. Withdrawals made before the maturity date in a bank certificate of deposit may result in a substantial penalty.
Consult your legal or tax counsel for advice and information concerning your particular
circumstances. Neither Cetera nor any of its representatives can provide legal or tax advice.
Securities offered through Cetera Investment Services LLC, member FINRA/SIPC. Investments are: Not FDIC/NCUSIF insured; May lose value; Not financial institution guaranteed; Not a deposit; Not insured by any federal government agency. Cetera is under separate ownership from any other named entity.